Probably this was the first bridging point of the Ljubljanica in the city,
certainly bridges have stood at this point since at least the 13th century.
These bridges, for which tolls were charged for the transport of freight, linked
the older parts of the town - the Town and Old Squares on the right bank - with
the New Square (Novi Trg) on the left (western) bank of the Ljubljanica.
Originally occupied by butchers, it became known as the ÒButchers« BridgeÓ
(Mesarski Most) - a name used to describe it until the beginning of the 17th
century when it was rebuilt and flanked by two dozen or so tradesmen«s booths.
Many of these small new premises became occupied by cobblers and shoemakers,
thus the adoption of a new name - the ÒCobblers« BridgeÓ, (Šuštarski Most). A
new iron bridge, forged in prefabricated sections at the Auersperg iron foundry
at Dvor in Lower Carniola (Dolenjska), was erected in 1867. It is this bridge
that the pedestrians on the postcard are crossing and was officially named after
former mayor of Ljubljana Janez Nepomuk Hradecky (1775- 1846). The current
bridge, the venue of various cultural performances during summer, was designed
by Jože Plečnik and erected in 1932. It is known as the ÒShoemakers« BridgeÓ
(Čevljarski Most) - a name more in keeping with a more modern age and somewhat
more polite society, even though the shoemakers have long gone. The old iron
bridge, meanwhile, was moved to a position further downstream, where it
continues to serve its original function.